The Night Tube saga with TfL continues into 2016, as the RMT (Rail, Maritime, and Transport Workers) Union confirm a further three walk-outs of London Undergound staff.
Downing tools for 24hrs on Tuesday 26th January, Monday 15th February and Wednesday 17th February, staff will walk out disputes over pay and conditions, and the removal of 800 jobs from stations. Aslef, the Train Drivers Union, have also confirmed that their members will take part.
Aslef claimed previously that London Underground management had refused to meet to discuss conditions for working on the proposed Night Tube. However, London Underground has accused Aslef of “making excessive demands”.
Over at the RMT, General Secretary Mick Cash said the union supports the principle of a “properly worked out night Tube service” but said an “abject failure to work through the detail has led to a comprehensive breakdown in the negotiations”. And these three dates aren’t all for RMT members; their website also calls for ‘all station staff grades to take a week of action from the imposition of the rosters and new operating model on Sunday 7th February through to Saturday 13th February’, but admits the nature of the action is yet to be confirmed.
London mayoral candidates are now debating the issue in the press, and commuters remain unsettled at the prospect of further underground closures.
As an alternative, why not try liftsharing around the capital during the disruption? It’ll work out cheaper than a tube ticket and you can do your bit for the environment by reducing the number of single occupancy vehicles!
Author Lex Barber